If you own a gun, you probably know or own a gun safe or a gun cabinet . The choice of a gun safe and a gun cabinet may seem straightforward at first, but also it can quickly become more complex. Your choice is mainly influenced by two things: the budget as well as the paranoia level. Remember, regardless of how rusty, old, or worn out the gun can seem to be, somebody is always ready to steal it.
A gun safe is like a regular safe, but it is specially designed to protect and store different types of weapons. They are used for storing valuables and contain locks such as biometric locks, key locks, or combination locks. They are usually made of heavy and robust materials to prevent thieves from taking them out from business or your homes.
It is designed to display your gun. Also, it looks like the regular kitchen cabinet, but it is prepared for your guns. Mostly it has glass doors also it can be constructed-in or stand-alone. Depending on the budget and the number of weapons, you can purchase ready-made or custom-made weapon cases.
Advantages of gun safe
- The gun safe offers its users many advantages. This include:
- It can guard your favorite weapon against water and fire.
- Because the safe structure can be more resistant because it is made from metal and steel, robbers cannot get into and rob the guns. You can also protect your guns from water in the house.
- The structure and strong security lock prevent long-term attacks.
- The steel layer of the safe works excellent and prevents thieves from breaking through the safe to rob weapons.
- Because it is heavy, it stays in place and prevents thieves from stealing a gun as it cannot be carried easily.
- Your gun and other weapons are kept in good condition and are waterproof even in a fire or flood.
- The locking mechanism causes the gun safe to be more secure, as you can securely attach it to the wall, door, or floor using glue.
Advantages of gun cabinet
- A gun cabinet becomes the best alternative to decorate your home because it’s more attractive than gun safety.
- It is simple and easy to use, as the lockable glass door is easy to close and open by anyone.
- It is lightweight, and this makes it easier to take it anywhere you want to take it.
- If you are looking for storage space for rifles, guns, etc., within your budget, the gun cabinet becomes the best option.
- With a hammer, a drill, lumbar, and some nails, you can build your own gun cabinet at home if you have carpentry skills.
Gun Safe Vs. Gun Cabinet
The choice between the gun safe and gun cabinet can be highly confusing. In addition to the budget and your business establishment and home space, think about what you need, want, features, capacity materials, etc., for each product. Don’t worry because there are some things to keep in mind if you want to know their difference.
The gun cabinet usually holds 5 to 32 guns at a time. In addition, to if you have more than 32 firearms, you can go for the gun safe. With so much ammo and guns in one place, it’s safer for your family, you, or coworkers to keep your guns in a safe place out of the reach of unauthorized persons.
A gun safe is generally made of high quality and heavy steel, at least ½ inch thick to bear many abuses and stresses. Also, it is heavy and can’t be carried by burglars or robbers. The gun cabinet is usually made of solid wood or sheet metal about 1/8 inch thick. It’s easily damaged also doesn’t require much force or abuse.
When choosing a gun cabinet, you need to be careful to make sure it is made of solid wood veneer or sawdust. It may look or feel like original solid wood, but it’s not. Typically, they use a sawdust mixture as a thin veneer layer.
The gun cabinet and gun safe style-wise are elegant. But the gun cabinet tends to be a bit rustic, while others are more modern and, for a time, more contemporary in style, with varied designs. Some gun safes can be very useful in style. This means they can now be very decorative. With some vintage or antique-style gun safes, this is common. But today, some gun safes have various shapes and styles.
A gun cabinet doesn’t have a key or combination to remember. This can be a great way to access your weapon, but it’s also a con to your safety. If gun cabinets don’t have locks, your kids will also have easy access to guns. Gun cabinet is constructed from sheet metal or wood with glass to showcase the gun collection or wood. The average person with the crowbar can break the glass and rob your weapon.
A gun safe is designed to protect your weapon. While nothing is 100% theft-proof, a gun safe is designed to deter theft because of heavy and sturdy construction and high-quality, thick materials.
A gun safe will not be fireproof at all, but the gun safe can be to some extent. The safe has a fireboard lining that delimits the interior walls. The fireboard lining can be added to the gun cabinet, but it’s not as fire resistant as the gun safe.
Even with the use of fireboard lining, a gun safe is not entirely fireproof. Many safes begin with 30 minutes of fire resistance, and if you need more fireproof, you can go for the bigger ones, which are also more expensive.
Before you buy a gun safe or a gun cabinet, make sure it fits. A gun safe must be safer than the gun cabinet in many ways. The gun safe can do more to protect your weapons than the gun cabinet. Thanks to the metallic construction and the steel layer, the gun is safe to prevent any attack for at least fewer minutes in case of attempted theft.