Safes are the most excellent ways to secure treasures from theft because they are challenging to get into. However, the gun safe should not be placed on regular surfaces in the house and should be hidden. Usually, it is common to secure a gun safe on the floor, but there are many causes not to do so. The safe must not be fixed to the ground during the rental. One main reason is that floor itself isn’t appropriate for bolting in a safe, which is why gun owners look for an alternative.
Even if you are a homeowner, you may be wondering how to secure a gun safe without bolting it on the floor. If your hardwood floors are expensive, possibly you will avoid drilling through them. Or, if you have a floor plan that doesn’t match the traditional ways of protecting a safe on the floor, you don’t bolt. While it is good to secure a gun safe on the floor, we are exploring many options. Some are simple and cheaper, while others can be costly.
How to secure a gun safe without bolting it to the floor
1. Add weights
If you wish to secure your gun safe without bolting it to the floor, ensure that thieves and intruders cannot move or carry it with you, you can add weights. This is the practical solution to make it stable and achievable, except fixing it to the ground, which isn’t an alternative here.
You probably don’t know it, but most thieves don’t try to steal the safe from the ground because it takes time, and they would get in trouble by exposing themselves. Instead, they regularly decide to pick it up and take it later with a suitable tool and in a safe place. So, this is a good solution, especially if you don’t want to or can’t close the safe.
2. Steel plate method
The best way to secure a gun safe without bolting it to the floor is to use a heavy steel plate. It is, in fact, a technique very similar to other methods, but a large object is attached to the safe and another one next to the heavy one. Again, the idea is to ensure thieves cannot remove the safe from your home because the added weight renders them useless during the process. After all, it is practically impossible inside a huge and thick object.
It is paramount to select a thick and wide piece of steel to prevent a burglar from breaking into the door frame. At this time, some holes will be here, not in the floor, because somehow you have to protect the floor. Note that installing this piece of steel also means that you cannot relocate the safe, so choose it wisely. The truth is that this installation is not comfortable for you, but it will protect your guns.
3. Glue the safe to the floor with glue
With this method, you can secure the gun safe but without bolting it to the floor. It’s a simple and inexpensive way that can be implemented in a matter of minutes. This method does not require special technical or mechanical knowledge.
You have the option of avoiding bolting on the floor, creating a permanent hole. The most convenient place to put a safe can be helpful. You have to make a hidden room to prevent intruders or unwanted people from entering the safe.
Here are some of the accessories you’ll need:
- Polymer adhesive
- Measuring tape
- Tracking tape
You can easily find these tools online or at the nearest store. After purchasing them, do the following:
Step 1: Follow the measurement safely to the ground
Once you’ve chosen an excellent place to secure, settle in that area and then make the exact measurements with a tape measure and draw or mark the floor with masking tape.
Step 2: glue
Once you have marked the gun’s dimensions on the floor, use the same outline you made with the air tape and apply the glue in the correct places. When smearing the glue, it is necessary to make tiny circles on the designed floor. After completing this process, find a scraper to help spread the glue evenly.
Now put the gun safe on top of the floor and let it sit for not many hours. The adhesive creates a strong bond between the floor and the safe, challenging to move, even with great force.
4. Store it under the floorboards
The gun safe can be secure without bolting to the floor by storing it under the floorboards. However, this method may work well if you have a hardwood floor. All you have to do is lift the floorboards then use the space underneath to be safe. When finished, reinstall it. After doing this, nobody knows that under the floorboards, there is a safe.
5. Hide behind the paintings or huge photos
Another way to secure a gun safe is to hide the safe behind the paintings or huge photos. But since this technique is familiar, you need to use them to perplex the invaders. However, thieves have less time to stare behind paintings to locate a safe, but you confuse them, even more when they do.
Whether you use a safe to store your weapon or other items such as binoculars, rings, etc., not everyone can use the bottom directly to screw into the safe. There are many thieves out there attempting to steal valuables, and most of them focus on security because they know you have what they want.
6. Create the fake wall
You’ve probably seen this phase in several movies, and believe it or don’t believe because it might be true. Employ a professional to build the fake wall to hide and secure a gun safe without bolting it to the floor. You can also buy a kitchen cabinet that is not original and keep it in.
Does a gun safe need to be bolted to the floor?
While it’s not an absolute requirement, it is highly recommended to bolt a gun safe to the floor, especially if you want to maximize security. Bolting a gun safe to the floor offers several advantages:
- Prevents Theft: Bolting the safe down makes it extremely difficult for thieves to remove the safe from your premises. Even if they manage to breach the safe’s security, they will have a hard time stealing it.
- Stability: Bolting the safe adds stability, preventing it from tipping over accidentally, especially if it’s a larger or heavier model. This reduces the risk of injury or damage to your property.
- Enhanced Security: A securely anchored safe is more resistant to prying attacks. It’s challenging for burglars to leverage tools to gain access when the safe is bolted down.
- Insurance Requirements: Some insurance policies may require or offer discounts for safes that are securely bolted to the floor or wall. Check with your insurance provider for any such requirements or benefits.
- Fire Protection: Bolting the safe to the floor can help maintain its fireproof seal during a fire, increasing its effectiveness in protecting your firearms and valuables.
- Prevents Unintentional Movement: In the event of an earthquake or other natural disasters, a bolted-down safe is less likely to shift or move, reducing the risk of damage to its contents.
When bolting a safe to the floor, use appropriate anchoring hardware and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for installation. Ensure that the floor can support the weight of the safe and that you are not violating any local building codes or lease agreements (if you’re in an apartment or rental property). Seek professional installation if you’re uncertain about the process or materials required.
Ultimately, the decision to bolt a gun safe to the floor depends on your security needs, the size and weight of the safe, and your specific circumstances. While it’s not mandatory, it’s a recommended security measure to enhance the protection of your firearms and valuables.
What is the alternative to bolting a safe to the floor?
If you cannot or do not want to bolt a safe to the floor, there are alternative measures you can take to enhance the security of your gun safe and protect your firearms and valuables:
- Bolt to a Wall: If floor bolting is not an option, consider bolting the safe to a wall instead. Wall bolting can provide similar security benefits as floor bolting, making it more challenging for thieves to remove the safe.
- Use a Heavy Safe: Choose a heavy and large safe. A heavier safe is more difficult to move or tip over, even if it’s not bolted down. The weight alone can deter burglars.
- Discreet Placement: Place the safe in a discreet location that is not immediately visible to anyone entering the room. This can make it harder for potential burglars to locate and access the safe quickly.
- Install Security Cameras: Use security cameras in the area where the safe is located. Visible security cameras can act as a deterrent, and they may help identify and apprehend intruders.
- Security System Integration: Integrate your safe into your home security system. Some modern safes can be connected to alarm systems, providing an extra layer of protection.
- Layered Security: In addition to a safe, consider other security measures like reinforced doors, strong locks, and an alarm system for your home. These layers of security can deter burglars.
- Insurance: Ensure that your firearms and valuables are adequately insured in case of theft or damage. Consult with your insurance provider to understand your coverage options.
- Hidden Compartments: Some homeowners choose to create hidden compartments or conceal their safes behind furniture or wall coverings. While this doesn’t provide the same level of security as bolting, it can make it more challenging for burglars to find the safe.
- Store Valuables Separately: Consider storing your firearms and valuable items separately. This way, even if a burglar gains access to one area, they won’t have immediate access to everything.
- Professional Installation: If you’re concerned about security, consider hiring a professional locksmith or safe technician to assess your situation and recommend security measures tailored to your needs.
Remember that while these alternatives can enhance the security of your gun safe, bolting the safe to the floor or wall remains one of the most effective methods for preventing unauthorized removal. The level of security you choose should align with your specific circumstances, the value of the items stored, and your budget.
Securing a gun safe without bolting it to the floor is no big deal. Even if you have the method, you can also use this article to know other ways. There are other reasons to protect your gun safe. The most important thing is that once you follow these steps, your safe will be secure.