If you own a gun, a gun safe is the best place to keep ammunition, firearms, and other valuables around the house. Also, you can keep your belongings safe if there is a burglar in the house to secure your family and yourself, keep children away when the weapon is not in use, or keep them safe. Also, it ensures safety during the winter hunting season.
However, as with any safe, you are required to know how to maintain & clean a gun safe to keep it secure. A gun safe can last for a long if properly maintained and cleaned, so you don’t have to buy a new one quickly and save money. Read the tips below, and you will save a lot.
How to clean a gun safe
Get the correct cleaning supplies
Before you start to clean a gun safe, make sure are having the correct supplies. You will need the abrasive cloth, like the microfiber cloth, which is soft, abrasive, and dry. If you want your gun safe to look good, you should avoid anything, which will scratch the surface. Also, it is essential to get the new cloth, so it doesn’t get clogged with dirt and dust. Also, use a mild detergent and water to prevent the surface from rusting.
Remove everything from the safe
Remove all safes before cleaning the interior. This gives you access to all corners and edges of the interior. Depending on the safe, you may have removable shelves, which need to be removed and cleaned separately. It is best to clean the guns and accessories in a safe place out of the reach of children. Soft brushes can also be helpful for hard-to-reach areas. To make the process easier, consider investing in a handheld vacuum.
Clean inside and outside
Cleaning the house inside becomes the first step when cleaning a gun safe. Remove all interior stains with the microfiber cloth. Then use the other material and remove the remaining dust with the cleaning solution and water. Again, vacuum after surfaces is dry. The last step is to leave the safe and do the same. Make sure that moisture does not touch the electronic components of the safe.
Clean around the gun safe
You are required to clean the space around the safe while cleaning the gun safe. Make sure nothing is blocking the safe so you can quickly open it if there is an emergency. Do not allow your table to break. You should also sweep, mop, or vacuum the floor around the gun safe to correct everything. You are supposed to clean the gun safe once a month.
It would be best to find that the longer you wait between cleanings, the more difficult it will be to clean the gun safe. If you regularly keep your safe clean, it will last longer. Even during routine inspections, make sure everything is working correctly. Also, if you clean the gun safe, you can store an inventory. The importance of cleaning may be overwhelming at first, though knowing them should inspire you to continue.
How to maintain a gun safe
If you decide to invest in a gun safe, it is pretty resilient. However, there are a few things to do to maintain it. In addition to cleaning the gun safe, you need to do the following to maintain it.
1. Clean your safe monthly
The safe must be carefully cleaned once a month. Clean the outside of the safe and all handles, locks, edges, and cracks, removing dirt and dust that have built up over time. A soft and non-abrasive cloth is required to clean the outside of the safe. The safe’s surface should be checked, especially if it is a textured or powdered finish.
It is possible to scratch a painted surface with an abrasive. Also, dampen the cloth to ensure that dirt and dust are removed. The locks and handles typically have an anti-tarnish coating, so do not use polish or metal solvents.
2. Install a Gun Safe Dehumidifier
One way to maintain your gun safe is to install a dehumidifier. This will help to keep the humidity levels in your safe at a consistent, healthy level. This is important because high levels of humidity can cause rust and corrosion on your firearms. A dehumidifier will also help to keep the air inside your safe clean and healthy. All you have to do is plug the dehumidifier into a wall socket and place it on top of your safe. The best time of year to install a new battery powered dehumidifier is in the spring before the humidity levels rise as warmer weather approaches.
3. Annually lubricate the lock bolts
To ensure the locking bolts continue to work, apply a small amount of grease to the front and bottom of the bolts annually. This strategy also prevents the lock from being jammed or stinking. Typically, this is a little maintenance you should do if you feel it’s necessary. Also, the bolt used to lock the safe should be checked regularly and, if possible, apply oil to ensure a smooth closing and opening.
4. Call the experts to fix the lock once a year
One of the most important parts is the safe’s lock. You can think of your safe as a big and unsecured box when the lock is not working. The lock must be inspected and repaired by the expert once a year as this is very important.
You need to make sure the lock is in good condition every time, even if it is not required under all circumstances. Suitable quality safes likely come with a warranty, which means you expect the annual inspections to be covered if any issues arise.
How often should you check and clean the gun safe?
Regular maintenance and inspection of your gun safe are important to ensure that it functions correctly and continues to protect your firearms and other valuables. Here are some guidelines for how often you should check and clean your gun safe:
- Visual Inspection: Conduct a visual inspection of your gun safe every month or two. Look for any signs of damage, wear, or corrosion. Check the locking mechanism, hinges, and bolts for any issues. Ensure the door is closing and locking properly.
- Clean Interior: Clean the interior of your gun safe at least once a year or more often if needed. Remove firearms and other contents and wipe down the interior with a soft cloth to remove dust and debris. Pay special attention to the gun racks, shelves, and any accessories.
- Check Fireproofing: If your safe has fireproofing material, inspect it for any signs of damage or deterioration. Fireproofing materials can break down over time, so it’s essential to ensure they are still effective.
- Lubricate Lock and Bolts: Depending on the type of locking mechanism, you may need to lubricate the lock and bolts periodically. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for lubrication intervals and use an appropriate gun safe lubricant.
- Check Dehumidifier: If you use a dehumidifier inside the safe to control moisture, check it regularly to ensure it’s working correctly. Some dehumidifiers need recharging or replacement periodically.
- Inspect the Seal: Examine the seal around the door to ensure it’s still in good condition. A damaged seal can allow moisture or contaminants to enter the safe, potentially affecting the contents.
- Reorganize Contents: Take the opportunity to reorganize the contents of your safe as needed. This can help optimize storage space and ensure that firearms and valuables are readily accessible.
- Bolt Tension: If your safe is bolted to the floor or wall, periodically check the tension of the bolts. Over time, they may loosen, and it’s important to keep them secure.
- Document and Inventory: Keep an updated inventory of the items stored in your safe. This not only helps with organization but also provides documentation for insurance purposes.
- Professional Inspection: Consider having a professional safe technician inspect your safe every few years, especially if you have a high-end or electronic lock system. They can ensure that all components are functioning correctly.
The frequency of maintenance and cleaning may vary depending on factors such as the climate in your area, the quality of your safe, and how often you access it. Regular maintenance not only ensures that your safe continues to function properly but also helps prolong its lifespan and the protection it provides to your firearms and valuables. Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for specific recommendations related to your particular safe model.
Keeping your firearms clean and well-maintained is one way to maintain a gun safe. Every month you should clean and lubricate each firearm stored in your safe as part of good gun safety. You should also check the ammunition stored in the lockbox or compartment of your safe regularly. Make sure to replace any old or damaged ammunition. Old, boxed ammunition can explode inside your safe if it isn’t in good condition.
Many gun safes offer a high level of protection from potential risks. However, that does not mean you need to ignore the maintenance and cleaning of a gun safe. There are several things you can do to help extend the life of the safe and ensure it protects the valuables. If properly maintained and cleaned, a safe can last for a long and even add value to your investment. It’s crucial to maintain the gun safe regularly and correctly. Depending on the location, the safe is more exposed to dirt and dust. Over time, the settled and hardened dust becomes more challenging to clean.